Monday 10 January 2011

Bronze Casting

On my sculpture course at Edinburgh College of Art, we are lucky to have a small foundry and we did a bronze casting workshop, which is one of the most exciting workshops I have ever done. The fire in the foundry, the heat and the molten metal were awesome and there was something primeval and archetypal about the whole process.
I made a bronze replica of an antique pharmacy jar which had found its way to me in a pharmacy I worked in. The result had 3 blow holes in it which made it look like some relic from a shipwreck or explosion. It was not what I was expecting but I liked it.




Pharmacy 2010
bronze, disused drugs



Pharmacy Jar
bronze



Pouring the bronze




wax model showing pour holes
and air vents



1 comment:

  1. These are great sue! I almost like the mould with the funnel thing and the pour holes better than the actual piece itself! It looks like great fun though, very hot!

    ReplyDelete