Thursday 12 July 2012

The Feelie Pudding

How are you feeling today?
If you are feeling rough , you can punch me.
If you are feeling gentle, you can cuddle me.
If you are feeling erotic, you can squeeze me. 









The Feelie Pudding was made in response to a brief for an exhibition  called 'Sensation' at The Old Ambulance Depot.   I wanted to make work that could respond to the viewers senses and be interactive as well.  Dough was an obvious answer for me. It is nice to the touch,  squeezable,  squidgy, palpable, can even be quite sensual.   Wrapping it in gingham material was in keeping with a homely, domestic situation and it was exhibited at the end of and on a piece of washing line.  I had to make it as near as possible to the exhibition because after a few days, it starts to go off, ferments and explodes out the bag!

Watching viewers at the exhibition interact with it was fascinating and quite amusing. Most people just hit it and let it swing around, others felt it and squeezed it, sometimes almost unconsciously while chatting.  The funniest thing, which several people did, was to balance it on their heads!

2 comments:

  1. This inspires a sexual energy. From the first time I saw it hanging in the exhibition. I think you have to be in the room to feel, the 'feelie's' presence, but this is very good documentation. The written work advocates and captures the exhibition, the work and the viewers response gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the iconicity of the figurative-narrative line-space matrix notates the exploration of montage elements.

    ReplyDelete